The Art of Contemplative Practice: A Formation Program for Everyone (UD code DS9201W) is offered for those seeking to explore contemplation as a basis for living and ministry.
This program has the attraction of the following features:
- A flexible program allowing participants to adapt it to their own circumstances.
- Participants may benefit from completing this unit on its own or using it to lead into other formation programs. (NB: Completion of this course is strongly recommended prior to enrolment in the Art of Spiritual Direction.)
- There is a good balance between teaching, practicuums and peer groups.
- Both teachers and students come from diverse faith traditions and this adds to the depth and richness of the program.
- WellSpring Centre provides an attractive venue and excellent resources for training.
- The course is recognised by the University of Divinity – and the units may earn credit towards the Graduate Diploma of Spiritual Direction or Spirituality and the Master of Arts (Spiritual Direction/Spirituality). FEE-Help may be available for course fees, for those who enrol through the University of Divinity. (NB: The cost of the residential gathering is additional.)
For more information, please contact Rosanne Arnott.
Course Director: Rev. Dr Peter Bentley
Course Coordinator: Rosanne Arnott
- The team is made up of an ecumenical group of teachers and supervisors who are experienced spiritual directors. Together they bring a creative and balanced approach to this ministry.
- Numbers are limited to allow maximum participation.
Course for 2018
NB: The Art of Contemplative Practice is strongly recommended before enrolling in The Art of Spiritual Direction Unit 1, and can also be taken on its own without progressing on to the Art of Spiritual Direction.
- Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 January (9am to 5pm at WellSpring Centre, Ashburton) AND
- Friday 9 February, 5pm to Sunday 11 February, 5pm (Residential Retreat at Don Bosco Retreat Centre, Lysterfield) AND
- Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 March (9am to 5pm at WellSpring Centre, Ashburton)
NB: Class size (minimum and maximum number of students) is designed to facilitate optimal participation.
Process for enrolment for 2018
Please complete the WellSpring registration form for The Art of Contemplative Practice prior to enrolling in the unit. Registrations for 2018 close on Friday 15 December 2017.
Decide whether to enrol in the unit for academic credit, or to audit the unit.
Enrolment for academic credit:
This unit may count towards a post-graduate degree in Theology through Whitley College.
Costs are as per University of Divinity schedule (15 point post-graduate unit) + cost of residential gathering (cost TBC).
Students who enrol through University of Divinity may be eligible for FEE-Help to cover course fees (NB: cost of residential gathering is not covered by FEE-Help).
If you already a student with the University of Divinity, contact the registrar at your own RTI (Recognised Teaching Institution) to arrange enrolment.
Contact for New Students:
Ph: (03) 9340 8000
Ph: (03) 9340 8000
There is also the option of auditing this unit at a reduced cost.
The cost of the residential gathering is additional.
Students who audit the course are encouraged to complete the written tasks to gain full benefit of the course, but they do not receive academic credit.
Registrar, Whitley College
Ph: (03) 9340 8000
An invoice for the auditing fees will be sent to you for payment prior to the beginning of the course.
Auditing costs for 2018 are still to be confirmed.
If you are wishing to also apply for/enrol in The Art of Spiritual Direction Unit 1 in 2018, please click here to read further details about application dates and processes.