The Art of Contemplative Practice: A Formation Program for Everyone (UD code DS9201W) is offered for those seeking to explore contemplation as a basis for living and ministry.
This program has the attraction of the following features:
- A flexible program allowing participants to adapt it to their own circumstances.
- Participants may benefit from completing this unit on its own or using it to lead into other formation programs. (NB: Completion of this course is strongly recommended prior to enrolment in the Art of Spiritual Direction.)
- There is a good balance between teaching, practicuums and peer groups.
- Both teachers and students come from diverse faith traditions and this adds to the depth and richness of the program.
- WellSpring Centre provides an attractive venue and excellent resources for training.
- The course is recognised by the University of Divinity – and the units may earn credit towards the Graduate Diploma of Spiritual Direction or Spirituality and the Master of Arts (Spiritual Direction/Spirituality). FEE-Help may be available for course fees, for those who enrol through the University of Divinity. (NB: The cost of the residential gathering is additional.)
For more information, please contact Rosanne Arnott.
Course Director: Rev. Peter Bentley
Course Coordinator: Rosanne Arnott
- The team is made up of an ecumenical group of teachers and supervisors who are experienced spiritual directors. Together they bring a creative and balanced approach to this ministry.
- Numbers are limited to allow maximum participation.
Course for 2017
This course is now completed for 2017, and will not be offered again before 2018.
NB: The Art of Contemplative Practice is strongly recommended before enrolling in The Art of Spiritual Direction Unit 1, and can also be taken on its own without progressing on to the Art of Spiritual Direction.
Process for enrolment
NB: Applications for 2017 are now closed.
Step now closed (see note above): Complete the WellSpring registration form for The Art of Contemplative Practice. All applicants are automatically accepted into the Art of Contemplative Practice unit (unless the unit is already full), but must complete this registration form prior to enrolling in the unit.
Decide whether to enrol in the unit for academic credit, or to audit the unit.
Enrolment for academic credit:
This unit may count towards a post-graduate degree in Theology through Whitley College.
Costs are as per University of Divinity schedule (15 point post-graduate unit) + cost of residential gathering ($250).
Students who enrol through University of Divinity may be eligible for FEE-Help to cover course fees (NB: cost of residential gathering is not covered by FEE-Help).
If you already a student with the University of Divinity, contact the registrar at your own RTI (Recognised Teaching Institution) to arrange enrolment.
Contact for New Students:
Ph: (03) 9340 8000
Ph: (03) 9340 8000
There is also the option of auditing this unit at a reduced cost.
The cost of the residential gathering ($250) is additional.
Students who audit the course are encouraged to complete the written tasks to gain full benefit of the course, but they do not receive academic credit.
Ph: (03) 9885 0277
Monique will send you an invoice for the auditing fees, payable directly to WellSpring prior to the start of the unit.
Alternative payment arrangements may be individually negotiated upon request.
If you are wishing to also apply for/enrol in The Art of Spiritual Direction Unit 1 following Art of Contemplative Practice, please click here to read further details about application dates and processes.